[mapserver-users] project on the fly through mapserver or openlayers?

Mark Korver mwkorver at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 11:06:13 EDT 2010

> If all this is correct, I wondered if, for performance issues, it's better
> to reproject vectorial drawings with MapServer or OpenLayers.

Depends on several things.  If you just have small number of users on
the system, MapServer may well give you all the performance you need.
Plus its easy to setup.

However, from an architectural point of view, off-loading some of the
work to the client ( which is probably not all that busy anyway )  is
not a bad idea, especially if you have a lot of clients and
potentially a lot of load on the server.  But...in that case you
probably want to pre-process data to really speed it up.

Also, I know MapServer is fast, but I would expect using OL (
javascript ) to re-project and then render vector data has its limits,
just needs to be tested.