[mapserver-users] Interactive display of map polygons & attributes (flash, svg, ...)

Stefan Schwarzer stefan.schwarzer at grid.unep.ch
Tue Jul 27 02:56:14 EDT 2010

Hi there,

we're using mapserver since a very long time for different applications.

For an upcoming project, I would like to link more dynamically the map (polygons of communities for example) with the attributes, meaning that when the mouse slides over another polygon it would display a graph linked to that polygon at the side of the map. With this, a user could rapidly browse the different communities and compare the graphs for these.

I guess that - if at all this would be achievable with mapserver - this would need flash or eventually svg output, right? Does anyone know of such an enabling framework? I remember many years ago having seen a demo flash version. And how about SVG? As nowadays browser are more capable of displaying SVG, this could be an interesting, open-source solution too.

The only other "app" I know of able to do such a thing is ArcGIS Server with Javascript of Flex front end. But I am a bit reluctant to jump on that train.

Thanks for any hints,

Stefan