[mapserver-users] Raster data performance

Alexandre Dube adube at mapgears.com
Wed Jul 28 08:27:10 EDT 2010

Hi Tobi,

   The following documentation topics about raster might help :

http://mapserver.org/input/raster.html#rasters-and-tile-indexing
http://mapserver.org/input/raster.html#raster-display-performance-tips

   and about expressions :

http://mapserver.org/mapfile/expressions.html

   The string comparison type is the fastest, so you could try define
more classes but using string comparison to see if it gets faster.
Also, a good performance tip is to put your most frequent classes types
on top first.  For example, if 80% of your data has "pixel = -3" then
put it on top.

Kind regards,

Alexandre

On 10-07-28 04:54 AM, Tobias Weiß wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> this is my first email to this list. I am working with MapServer,
> OpenLayers & TileCache for almost 1 year now and the tools are really
> working great together, when everything is configured correctly ;-)
>
> At the moment I´m facing a performance problem with raster data that
> serves as input data to render my map tiles. The spatial resolution of
> this raster data is 720 (rows) x 360 (cols) and it is stored in a
> simple .txt file (The size of the file is around 2 MB). I use
> TileCache to prerender maptiles for different zoom levels that are
> later displayed in a web application using OpenLayers.
>
> I discovered, that the rendering speed of MapServer seems to mainly
> depend on how many different classes I define within my mapfile,
> meaning how many expressions MapServer has to evaluate during the
> rendering process. Without any classes MapServer the rendering speed
> is really fast, the more classes I use the slower it gets. With e.g.
> 10 different classes defining 10 different styles / pixel colors the
> rendering time for one tile can increase up to 60 sec.
>
> CLASS
>    EXPRESSION ([pixel]>= -4 AND [pixel]<  -3)
>      STYLE
> 	COLOR 69 117 180
>     END
> END
>

> While working with shape files I haven´t had this problems and
> prerendering map tiles was really fast. With raster data the rendering
> time for one map and 5 different zoom levels can take up to several
> hours and almost overburdens my CPU.
>
> Can anybody give me a hint how I could improve this?
>
> Best, Tobi

Alexandre Dubé
Mapgears
www.mapgears.com