[mapserver-users] Migration to MapServer

adams adams at terrestris.de
Sat Jun 12 14:14:33 EDT 2010

yUser,

I think it's more a client specific issue, what you are looking for.
Mapserver is able to serve your street-maps , but it is not a client
(=user interface), which googlemaps also delivers.
Perhaps you should have a look on OpenLayes, if you look for a good
replacement on that side.

Some answers:
1. OSM (www.openstreetmap.org) - you'll have to set them up as
mapserver-maps and in mapserver you may make them look like the googlemap.

2. see openlayers (wqww.openlayers.org)
3. definitively scriptable but I think there is nothing out-of.the box.

One week is not many, specially if you are not familar with the mapping
stuff in general and mapserver and/or openlayers or other client-side
software...

Regards, Till

yUser wrote:
> Hello, Am new to MapServer. What I am trying to achieve is the
> following: I have a Google Maps web application which shows bicycle
> routes. Users can then search from those bicycle routes (javascript).
> As I am learning more about MapServer I am also wondering if migrating
> from using Google Maps to MapServer will work for this particular
> application. 1. Any ideas about finding City of Toronto Routes and
> Street data? (I found some data but I am wondering if they will have a
> similar look and feel like the Google Maps - maybe not too cool but
> should be good enough to see streets and roads rather than just line
> segements). 2. Other than that I will have to allow users some
> capability to draw polylines on the map. Does the MapServer scripting
> allow drawing of polylines? 3. If there are points on a map and if a
> bounding box rectangle is drawn on the map, can the MapServer script
> allow finding which points are within the bounding box (with lat/lng
> cooordinates)? Hoping to get all of this done within 1 week or so..I
> hope this is a reasonable time estimate for this migration. If you
> have ideas about this, please let me know? Thanks.
> at Nabble.com.

terrestris GmbH & Co. KG
Irmintrudisstrasse 17
53111 Bonn