[mapserver-users] Re: Migration to MapServer

pcreso at pcreso.com pcreso at pcreso.com
Sat Jun 12 17:28:14 EDT 2010

Essentially yes.

However, note that such an application may be retrieving data &/or code from a server via the LAN or internet, and may provide maps to either or both LAN or net clients. Not just data.

eg: your site may have a local copy of the OpenLayers code, or download on the fly from the OL website. Data may be from any local or remote server.

You can download data from places like OSM & store/use as local datasets, download on the fly, or download on the fly & cache locally.

You can use mapserver or other OGC compliant map serving applications such as Geoserver, Deegree, MapGuideOS, etc. Personally I prefer mapserver :-)

You can use OpenLayers natively or with wrappers providing additional functionality, such as

MapFish   http://mapfish.org/
Geomoose  http://geomoose.org/

to build your client, or use a framework which provides some such support built in such as

Drupal   http://drupal.org/project/openlayers
GeoDjango   http://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/GeoDjango
or one under development for Silverstripe.

You will also need tools for managing both raster & vector data to be served as maps, and to provide cacheing services to improve performance, and some CMS or framework to build & manage your application.

I suggest your toolset includes, but you should look at some such suite as your solution, not simply the map production components.

PostGIS for local vector data management
Tilecache for speeding up raster data rendering
mapserver as an OGC WMS/WFS providor
OpenLayers, either directly or through mapfish or Geomoose

HTH,

 Brent Wood