[mapserver-users] Problems loading gml file in desktop gisretrieved from wfs

Rahkonen Jukka Jukka.Rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Wed Jun 30 06:26:57 EDT 2010

Hi,

I captured your gml, saved in on disk and checked it with ogrinfo. The
result is odd, it tells that the geometry is MULTIPOLYGON EMPTY. That
makes me think that Mapserver has perhaps created invalid GML.

d:\FWTools2.4.6>ogrinfo -al testgml.gml
Had to open data source read-only.
INFO: Open of `testgml.gml'
      using driver `GML' successful.

Layer name: RecintosSigpac
Geometry: Unknown (any)
Feature Count: 1
Extent: (0.000000, 0.000000) - (0.000000, 0.000000)
Layer SRS WKT:
(unknown)
GID: Integer (0.0)
PROVINCIA: Integer (0.0)
MUNICIPIO: Integer (0.0)
POLIGONO: Integer (0.0)
PARCELA: Integer (0.0)
RECINTO: Integer (0.0)
DN_SURFACE: String (12.0)
DN_PERIMET: String (11.0)
PENDIENTE: Integer (0.0)
ELEGIBILIDAD: Integer (0.0)
COEF_REGAD: Integer (0.0)
COEF_PASTO: Integer (0.0)
USO_SIGPAC: Integer (0.0)
USO_2003: Integer (0.0)
PARCELA_AG: String (0.0)
DN_OID: Integer (0.0)
FECHA: String (8.0)
OGRFeature(RecintosSigpac):0
  GID (Integer) = 318187
  PROVINCIA (Integer) = 1
  MUNICIPIO (Integer) = 18
  POLIGONO (Integer) = 5
  PARCELA (Integer) = 1047
  RECINTO (Integer) = 41
  DN_SURFACE (String) = 887277,80103
  DN_PERIMET (String) = 13888,79633
  PENDIENTE (Integer) = 18
  ELEGIBILIDAD (Integer) = 0
  COEF_REGAD (Integer) = 0
  COEF_PASTO (Integer) = 0
  USO_SIGPAC (Integer) = 11
  USO_2003 (Integer) = 11
  PARCELA_AG (String) =
  DN_OID (Integer) = 1183712842
  FECHA (String) = 01/01/10
  MULTIPOLYGON EMPTY

I also tried to convert the gml into shapefile with
d:\FWTools2.4.6>ogr2ogr -f "ESRI Shapefile" testgml.shp testgml.gml

The resulting shapefile contains all the attributes but no geometry.

What I have experienced with WFS clients it that very often they cannot
get features from WFS services on a map, or they success only with a
certain WFS server mark, for example Geoserver of deegree, but not both.
Reason may be in a slightly different ways used by clients for building
WFS requests, especially with filters. Differences can be bugs, or then
both ways are correct but the WFS server has been made to support only
one way because developers have been busy with taking care of their own
babies and they have not had time or interest to try other client/server
combinations for checking the interoperability. It is not uncommon
either that WFS server is sending the GML but client fails in parsing
it. Sometimes saving the GML on disk and converting it to some other
format with ogr2ogr helps because it is not trying to compare GML with
all the schemas which are referred. More troubles comes from the big
differences between WFS versions 1.0.0 and 1.1.0 like GML2 vs. GML3 and
the famous axis order thing. For example, it look like WFS client
developers working with deegree jumped into building 1.1.0 and left
version 1.0.0 more of less unmaintained, even for many users WFS 1.0.0
would suit better.

I saw your were using WFS 1.1.0. Try version 1.0.0 instead, it can be
better supported by the clients.

-Jukka Rahkonen-

David Alda Fernandez de Lezea wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I'm having some problems loading a getFeature gml file
> retrieved from a WFS served by MapServer. I can't load it in
> gvSIG, nor in uDig and in Qgis. How many different ways are
> there to retrieve information from a WFS server?
>
> MapServer Version:
> 5.6.1 (the on included in ms4w package)
>
> My WFS Server
>
> MAP
> 		NAME "wfs_server"
> 		STATUS ON
>
> 		EXTENT 460000 4710000 610000 4820000 # Euskadi
>
> 		PROJECTION
> 			"init=epsg:23030"
> 		END
>
> 		SHAPEPATH "shapes/"
> 		FONTSET "misc/fonts/fonts.txt"
>
> 		IMAGETYPE "image/png; mode=24bit"
> 		IMAGECOLOR 255 255 255
> 		UNITS METERS
>
> 		DEBUG ON
> 		CONFIG "MS_ERRORFILE"
> "C:/ms4w/Apache/htdocs/MFD/tmp/ms_wfs.log"
> 		DEBUG 5
>
> 		WEB
> 			IMAGEPATH "MFD/tmp/"
> 			IMAGEURL "tmp/"
> 			METADATA
> 				"wfs_title" "IKT WFS Server" ## REQUIRED
> 				"wfs_abstract" "Servicio de
> mapas WFS de IKT Nekazal Teknologia. Powered by Apache and
> UMN MapServer" ## REQUIRED
> 				"wfs_onlineresource"
> "http://192.168.1.65/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=../htdocs/MFD/eje
mplo_wfs.map&" ## Recommended
> 				"wfs_srs" "EPSG:23030" ## Recommended
> 				"wfs_keywordlist"
> "IKT,Euskadi,Mapas Euskadi"
> 				"wfs_fees"		"none"
> 				"wfs_accessconstraints"
> "Ninguna"
> 				"ows_contactorganization"
> "http://www.ikt.es"
> 				"wfs_geometry_element_name"
> "MS_GEOMETRY"
> 			END
> 		END
>
> 		LAYER
> 			DEBUG 5
> 			NAME "RecintosSigpac"
> 			PROJECTION
> 				"init=epsg:23030"
> 			END
> 			METADATA
> 				"wfs_title" "Recintos Sigpac
> 2009" ## REQUIRED
> 				"wfs_abstract" "Recintos"
> 				"wfs_name" "RecintosSigpac"
> 				"wfs_geometry_element_name"
> "MS_GEOMETRY"
> 				"wfs_srs" "EPSG:23030" ## Recommended
> 				"wfs_extent"
> "463506.9978541628 4702558.185239193 603185.4988525142
> 4811754.780732273"
> 				"gml_featureid" "gid" ## REQUIRED
> 				"gml_include_items"	"all"
> 			END
> 			TYPE POLYGON
>
> 			CONNECTIONTYPE oraclespatial
> 			CONNECTION "admcarto/admcarto at ORA10GEX"
>
> 			DATA "GEOMETRY FROM (SELECT * FROM
> GT_SIGPAC_REC_2010_ED50) USING UNIQUE gid SRID 82337" #todo el sigpac
>
> 			DUMP TRUE ## REQUIRED
>
> 			CLASS
> [...]

GML part from the previous mail removed.