[mapserver-users] A Question of Group

Bill Thoen bthoen at gisnet.com
Tue Mar 2 12:07:48 EST 2010

thomas bonfort wrote:
> as the code is right now, classes don't show up in the legend if they
> have no NAME *nor* TITLE

Seeing Bob's comment, I should add that I'm using HTML legends and I'm
trying to combine *layers* as opposed to classes. Combining CLASSes from
a LAYER is comparatively easy  (just select everything.)

Taking out the LAYER name doesn't seem to work, and if I remove the
wms_title and the entire CLASS definition I still get  a row in the
legend for that layer, no icon, and '[metadata name="wms_title"]' in
place of the layer title (see red arrow pointing to what I get instead.
Partial legend showing the problem

Here's the piece of my mapfile showing what I commented out and what I
have in there (The extra baggage is there to support retreiving feature
attribute data):
   LAYER
      GROUP "BLM Lands"
#     NAME "grp_BLM_ACECs_2009"
      METADATA
         "legend_order" "2"
#        'wms_title' "grp_BLM_ACECs_2009"
#        'wms_group_title' "all_blm_land1"
         'wms_srs' "epsg:2163"
         'gml_include_items' "All"
      END
      TYPE POLYGON
      STATUS ON
      TEMPLATE "foo"
      DUMP TRUE
      DATA "Agencies/DOI/BLM/BLM_ACEC/BLM_ACECs_2009_2163"
#     CLASS
#        NAME "Areas of Critical Env. Concern"
#        STYLE
#           COLOR 255 247 181
#           COLOR 255 000 000
#        END
#     END
      PROJECTION
         "init=epsg:2163"
      END
   END
I thought of trying different settings in the opt_flag bit field, but
there doesn't appear to be a setting for "just do what I want." So I'm
still looking for ideas, but Plan B is to script a conversion of all
these various tables into a common structure and then use ogrtindex to
paste them together. If anyone has an idea that would work and take less
time I'd sure like to hear from you!