[mapserver-users] runtime substitution not working

pcreso at pcreso.com pcreso at pcreso.com
Thu Mar 11 23:21:51 EST 2010

I'm obviously doing something wrong, but can't see what it is... I have a Postgis table of species occurences & I want to pass a variable to the mapfile to select which speciesusing runtime substitution.

The relevant DATA statement (joining species in the catch to locations in the station) in the mapfile is:

DATA "startp from (select c.id, s.startp, s.trip_code,
                              s.station_no, c.species,
                       from t_station s, catch c
                       where s.station_no=c.station_no
                         and c.species ilike '%%spp%%')
                       as myquery
                       using unique id using srid=4326"

The query works in Postgis & in the mapfile (via QGIS) when I hard code the %spp% (eg, to 'TAR')

I'm using QGIS to open the layer, with the URL:

QGIS appends the request type, etc & it works with the hard coded "spp"

The mapfile also has:
      "wms_title" "species"
      "wms_srs"   "epsg:4326"
      "wfs_title" "species"
      "wfs_version" "1.0.0"
      "wfs_typename" "species"
      "wfs_request_method" "GET"
      "wfs_service" "WFS"
      "spp_validation_pattern" '^[A-Z0-9][A-Z0-9][A-Z0-9]$'

The version I'm running is MapServer version 5.4.1
(so no default supported)

The docs say I can use shp2img to test runtime substitution in a mapfile, but I can't see how to invoke the substitution with the equivalent of a spp=TAR statement to test this.

Any suggestions?

    Brent Wood