[mapserver-users] GDAL WMS

Robert Sanson SansonR at asurequality.com
Mon Mar 15 15:52:01 EDT 2010

Hi JAmes

I believe sizex,sizey refers to the size a given pixel represents on the ground. eg. a 1:25,000 scale orthophoto may be represented with each pixel = 2.5m on the ground.

Here is an example from my mapfile:

 LAYER
  NAME nz50ktm
  GROUP "Toposcans"
  TYPE RASTER
  STATUS ON
  CONNECTION "http://ws-esrimt/arcgis/services/mapservice_topography_raster/MapServer/WMSServer?"
  CONNECTIONTYPE WMS
  MAXSCALE 60000
  MINSCALE 10000

  METADATA
   # OGC:WMS specific tags
   "ows_title"    "NZ 1:50k scale NZTM"
   "ows_abstract"    "This layer came from the LINZ Topo50 series maps in NZTM"
   "WMS_FORMAT" "image/png"
   "wms_server_version" "1.1.1"
   "wms_opaque"    "1"
   "wms_group_title" "Toposcans"
   "wms_resx" "4.233"
   "wms_resy" "4.233"
   "ows_extent" "1083997.88 4722000.45 2092003.23 6234002.12"
   "wms_srs"   "EPSG:2193"
   "WMS_NAME" "3"
   "wms_exceptions_format" "application/vnd.ogc.se_xml"
  END
 END

Regards,

Robert S

>>> James Perrins <james.perrins at gmail.com> 16/03/2010 2:51 a.m. >>>
Thanks Tamas - but I'm still confused..

With a WMS call I can specify the BlockSize - which I believe controls
the size of the tiles that I get back from the WMS service

If I have set blocksize to be 256 then if I am requesting a WMS image
to fill a 512x512 space on the screen and I have the
OVERSAMPLING_RATIO=1 - I would expect it to request 4 to 9 256x256
tiles (depending on how aligned it was)

"SizeX,SizeY corresponds to the raster dimensions in pixels" -
- is this the raster of the source image (the WMS is vector so this
doesn't make much sense to me?)
- or is it the size of the image produced - which is a series of
256x256 tiles stitched together to whatever size I have requested
through mapserver - so again it doesn't make much sense to me to
define this in the xml file - as it will change as my window resizes.

If talking about a tileserver - e.g OpenStreetMap - what is the
SizeX,Y then - the size of the source raster at its maximum resolution
?

Sorry if these are silly questions - but I'm clearly missing some bit
of basic understanding here

Many Thanks
James

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 12:15 PM, Tamas Szekeres <szekerest at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2010/3/15 James Perrins <james.perrins at gmail.com>
>>
>> Do you know what the SizeX does for WMS as well ?
>>

> SizeX,SizeY corresponds to the raster dimensions in pixels
>
> Best regards,
>
> Tamas

The contents of this email are confidential to AsureQuality. If you have received this communication in error please notify the sender immediately and delete the message and any attachments. The opinions expressed in this email are not necessarily those of AsureQuality. This message has been scanned for known viruses before delivery. AsureQuality supports the Unsolicited Electronic Messages Act 2007. If you do not wish to receive similar communications in future, please notify the sender of this message.