[mapserver-users] Custom Symbology using C# MapScript and SLDs

Pat B barnhart.pat at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 11:44:15 EDT 2010

Hi all - the following c# mapscript code is intended to change the symbol
displayed for a point layer from an existing .sym file and write the style
to an sld.  Overall my goal is to let the user customize the map symbology
on the fly using predfined symbols and save those changes in a sld.

My understanding is that I should also be able to use WellKnownName symbols
(square, circle, triangle, star, cross, x) even if they don't exist in the
.sym.  I've gotten it to work with the first two only (square and circle) by
setting the style.symbolname directly instead of using setSymbolByName but
it defaults back to one of those two for any of the other known names and
doesn't work for my predefined symbols.  I'm pretty sure I'm missing a step
somewhere but have spent days on this with no luck, any help would be
greatly appreciated!

	mapObj map = new mapObj("c:/ms4w/tmp/maps/myMapFile.map");
        map.setSymbolSet("c:/ms4w/tmp/maps/symbols/symbols.sym");
	layerObj layer = map.getLayerByName(layerName);
	classObj cls = new classObj(layer);
	styleObj style = new styleObj(cls);
	style.setSymbolByName(map,"mySymbol");
	cls.insertStyle(style, 0);

	//remove any existing styles
	for(var w=1;w<cls.numstyles;w++)
	{
		cls.removeStyle(w);
		w = w - 1;
	}

	layer.insertClass(cls, 0);

	//remove any existing classes
	for (var w=1;w<layer.numclasses;w++)
	{
		layer.removeClass(w);
		w = w - 1;
	}

	string sldString = map.generateSLD();

Here's a couple symbols from the .sym with different types (no luck with any
of them):

SYMBOL # hurricane
	TYPE TRUETYPE
	NAME 'hurricane'
	FONT "weather"
	CHARACTER "$"
	ANTIALIAS true
	TRANSPARENT 255
END

SYMBOL # box
	TYPE vector
	NAME 'box'
	FILLED true
	POINTS
		0 4
		0 0
		4 0
		4 4
		0 4
	END # Points definition
END

SYMBOL # airplane
	TYPE PIXMAP
	NAME 'airplane'
	IMAGE "airplane.gif"
END

Here's what I get in the output .sld:
  <NamedLayer>
    <Name>Point Layer</Name>
    <UserStyle>
      <FeatureTypeStyle>
        <Name>Point Layer</Name>
        <MaxScaleDenominator>100000.000000</MaxScaleDenominator>
        <PointSymbolizer></PointSymbolizer>
      </FeatureTypeStyle>
    </UserStyle>
  </NamedLayer>

Here's what I want to get in the output sld:
 <NamedLayer>
    <Name>Point Layer</Name>
    <UserStyle>
      <FeatureTypeStyle>
        <Rule>
          <Name>Point Layer</Name>
          <PointSymbolizer>
            <Graphic>
              <Mark>
                <WellKnownName>mySymbol</WellKnownName>
                <Fill>
                  <CssParameter name="fill">#ff0000</CssParameter>
                </Fill>
              </Mark>
              <Size>10</Size>
            </Graphic>