[mapserver-users] Oddball mapserver/ArcSDE issue -- looking for advice.

Russell McOrmond russell at flora.ca
Tue Mar 16 17:05:52 EDT 2010

   We are running Mapserver 5.4.0 compiled against the ArcSDE SDK and doing
requests against an SDE database.   This on RHEL5 and CentOS5 servers.

   We have an intermittent problem where the same Mapserver request will
often work, but sometimes has a segmentation fault (possibly 1 out of
every 5 times).

   The segmentation fault is caused by using a string which is actually
null being returned from string functions, with the null then being used
as if it were a string.
   See: http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/ticket/2988  "Check error returns
from mapstring functions."

   I am wondering if anyone using ArcSDE for their database has seen this
type of problem?  There is some speculation here that this is a number of
licenses issue (IE: that for the requests that are failing that it is
actually ArcSDE not returning data because it didn't get a license).  Does
this seem plausible?

   It would be ideal if we could get an error message into the MS_ERRORFILE
rather than core dumping, which might make it easier to diagnose this
problem -- and to also keep the business folks from thinking it is a
mapserver issue.

  Please help us tell the Canadian Parliament to protect our property
  rights as owners of Information Technology. Sign the petition!
  http://digital-copyright.ca/petition/ict/     http://KillBillC61.ca

   manufacturers, can pry control over my camcorder, computer,
   home theatre, or portable media player from my cold dead hands!"