[mapserver-users] Memory Leaks with Python Mapscript?

Jason Beverage jasonbeverage at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 12:10:54 EDT 2010

Hi all,

I'm using Python mapscript to generate map tiles similar to the way
that TileCache does and I think I'm running into some memory leaks.
I'm generating my mapObj and layerObj on the fly based on contents of
our database.

If I let my seed process run for a very long time, the memory use
seems to grow and grow.  I've seen recommendations on the TileCache
page to avoid using Mapscript b/c of memory leaks and even a note on
the mapserver users list saying that the Python bindings "tend to leak
like a sieve".
(http://www.mail-archive.com/mapserver-users@lists.osgeo.org/msg05821.html).

My process is pretty simple, create a new mapObj, add some layerObj's
to it, draw the image, and repeate.

I'm using MapServer/MapScript 5.6.1 and GDAL 1.6.3.  If anyone has any
tips to avoid leaking mem it would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Jason