[mapserver-users] mapserver logging

Rahkonen Jukka Jukka.Rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Mon May 10 06:16:25 EDT 2010

Hi,

There are two kind of logs. The one that Lars is referring to is so called Mapserver errorfile and while it is good for debugging it cannot be used for making statistics about visitors etc.  Webserver statistics can be made from the http server log files.  For example in MS4W installations http logs can be found from D:\Program Files\ms4w\Apache\logs. What will be logged into these log files is configured in the Apache httpd.conf file.

Apache log files suit well for analysing WMS usage because requests are coming through http GET method and then almost everything gets stored into the log.  If requests are coming though POST then Apache access.log does not give as much information.

There are many tools for analysing http server logs. Any search engine will return you lots of reading if you have a try with "http log analyze". I have been using AWStats and even the AWStats demo report gives useful numbers about the number of visitors, bandwidth, top ten IP addresses of the visitors etc.  Perl programmer could make a report that suits better for making statistics about Mapserver usage. I would start by searching where the Apache access.log file is and having a look at it with some text editor.

-Jukka Rahkonen-