[mapserver-users] Amazon EC2 vs. Collocation/Dedicated servers

Adam Eskreis aeskreis at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 09:23:04 EDT 2010

Hey All,

I just wanted to get an idea of what the general consessus is about what the
best platform for running mapserver in a live environment for many users (in
the tens of thousands).  My company is trying to decide the best way to
spend money on servers is for our mapserver application.  We have just 2
layers in our map, but one of them is heavily data intensive and is too
dynamic to be cached (to put it simply, it is a dynamic layer that uses a
different png symbols for each feature), the other is a cached baselayer.
The biggest concern is, what type of environment will allow us to quickly
serve up not only cached tiles, but dynamic tiles as well, while still being
able to handle tens of thousands of users.  The two choices we are deciding
between are Amazon EC2, or purchased servers in a collocation facility.  I
have put together a list of pros and cons of each, but I still wanted to get
the opinion of the mapserver pros out there.  So, if anyone has any
thoughts, please write back.

Thanks,
-Adam

P.S. We are also looking for a developer who knows the mapserver code like
the back of their hand who may be able to modify mapserver to be optimized
for our project.  Any mapserver developer that is interested in a part-time
contracted position, please reply to aeskreis at gmail.com with your resume as
well as your hourly rate.