[mapserver-users] map file paths

John Callahan john.callahan at udel.edu
Thu Nov 4 10:18:01 EDT 2010

The PHP mapscript wrapper looks promising.  Thanks. The examples would need
to be combined into one php file to handle both GetMap and GetCapabilities
requests. Seems doable.  I'm not a programmer and didn't want to get into
mapscript, however, modifying this script template doesn't seem too
difficult (if you already have PHP, which my server does.)

I'm not a big fan of copying and renaming the mapserv.exe file but it does
work well. We only publish a handful of services and do not expect to
significantly increase in the future.  If we do, scripting a batch file
would work just as well.  This is relatively easy and without the need to
install (re: maintenance, security) or learn additional programming
languages.

For me, it's also important to have short, easily readable URLs to send out
to people that use our WMS services.  I do not want the extra "?map=mymap"
parameters at the end of the URLs.  For one reason or another, things always
get screwed up when people start pasting these URLs into their desktop GIS
or other apps.  Simpler the better, even if it's not elegant or involves
slightly more work on my part.

- John

John Callahan, Research Scientist
Delaware Geological Survey, University of Delaware