[mapserver-users] Tiger line file and mapserver

Adam Eskreis aeskreis at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 12:54:22 EDT 2010

Hello everyone.

I'm having a problem with the Tiger line file in mapserver that I can't seem
to work out.  I am using mapserver as my backend and openlayers as my
frontend.  I'm not sure if my configuration is off, but I put on the layer
in openlayers, and the angle of the lines seems to be a bit off.  If you
look at, for instance, openstreetmaps.org (who also uses the tiger file) in
the area of new york city, all the blocks are perfect rectangles.  However,
in my map, these same boxes seem to represent more of a shape similar to a
parallelogram with acute and obtuse angles at the corners.

I inspected the code of openstreetmaps.org, and looked at their openlayers
code.  They have something similar to this for their map declaration:

map = new OpenLayers.Map('map', {
      controls: [
         new OpenLayers.Control.PanZoomBar()
      ],
      units: "m",
      maxResolution: "156543.0339",
      numZoomLevels: 20,
      displayProjection: new OpenLayers.Projection("EPSG:4326")
   });

I tried using this on my map (which also uses the tiger file), but I cannot
get it to scale properly.  On the most zoomed in level, new york city is
just a tiny dot, and if I zoom out I can't see anything.  Here is my mapfile
code:

MAP
  NAME "basemap"
  STATUS on
  SIZE 800 600
  EXTENT -180 -90 180 90
  IMAGECOLOR 250 250 250
  IMAGETYPE 'AGGA'
  CONFIG "MS_ERRORFILE" "/var/tmp/ms.log"
  DEBUG 5
  WEB
    METADATA
      "wms_srs" "EPSG:4326"
      "wms_onlineresource" "
http://mydomain.com/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/var/www/htdocs/dev/modules/maps/basemap.map
"
    END
  END
  PROJECTION
    "init=epsg:4326"
  END

  FONTSET "fonts.txt"

  OUTPUTFORMAT
    NAME "AGGA"
    MIMETYPE "image/png"
    DRIVER "AGG/PNG"
    IMAGEMODE "RGBA"
    TRANSPARENT TRUE
    EXTENSION "PNG"
    FORMATOPTION "INTERLACE=FALSE"
  END
 LAYER
   name lines
   GROUP basemap
   TYPE LINE
   PROJECTION
    "init=epsg:4326"
   END
   STATUS on
   CONNECTIONTYPE postgis
   CONNECTION "[removed]"
   DATA "the_geom from tiger_lines"
   CLASS
     style
      color 131 139 131
      width 24
      antialias true
     end
     style
      color 200 200 200
      width 22
      antialias true
     end
   END
 END
END

Does anyone see anything that might be the reason why I cannot get my map to
scale properly using the same exact file and openlayers code as
openstreetmap.org?

Thanks,

-Adam