[mapserver-users] Real life sample of a Mapfile for shp files on WMS

wildcolour matt at wildcolour.com
Mon Nov 8 16:38:17 EST 2010

Hi All

I am a newbie, so sorry if it seems like I have no idea (it is probably
because I really do have no idea).

We have got mapserver up and running, and the WMS is working fine. I have
read through the documentation, but I am lost without an more detailed
example of a mapfile.

I have about 6 shp files. Each file has different features that I want to
make into different WMS layers.  The data is for a topographical map.  For
example a file contains roads, power-lines and walking tracks.  Each type of
road, power-line etc have different tags (some also have the name of the
road after a comma). I am assuming this is fairly normal so far.

What I want to be able to do is apply a different class (not sure this is
the right term) to the roads, the power-lines and the walking tracks.  Looks
like I need to do some kind of query in the map file. At this stage we have
only each file acting as layer.

Does anyone have an example mapfile (that splits a SHP file into different
layers) that they would be happy to send?  I am fairly confident the penny
will drop for me if I can see a working example.

Thanks

Matt  :)