[mapserver-users] Gauss-Krüger

Jan Hartmann j.l.h.hartmann at uva.nl
Tue Nov 16 06:21:07 EST 2010

If your map is from 1908, there is a change that its projection is not
in the official modern EPSG table. In that case you need to derive the
whole PROJ4 definition from the legend of the map. As a rule, this is
not difficult, as the theoretical definitions of the common projection
have been known for a long time, it's just a matter of discovering which
particular set of parameters has been chosen for this map. In my
experience with old Dutch maps the main difficulty is finding out which
ellipsoid has been used. In your case, a map of 1908 can in no way have
had a WGS84 datum. You probably have to project it to a modern
projection with the original ellipsoid, and from that to WGS84.

Can you give any details of the maps you are working with and whether
their legends say something said about the projection? Are they part of
a larger map series?

Jan