Re: RE: [mapserver-users] Gauss-Krüger

Rahkonen Jukka Jukka.Rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Tue Nov 16 06:35:36 EST 2010

Hi,

Your projectin setting is likely to give you unpredictable results, because init:epsg:26915 means
<26915> +proj=utm +zone=15 +ellps=GRS80 +datum=NAD83 +units=m +no_defs  <>
and now you are giving additional, different definitions for the type of projection, ellipsoid and datum.

What do you know about your old maps?   Obviously they were not originally in digital format but they have been scanned later, oriented to North-South and georeferenced with world file or something?  It is quite possible that you can find out the exact projection that was used for producing the map but it is a good start that you know it is Gauss-Krüger.  Below are two proj4 strings for Gauss-Krüger projections

# DHDN / 3-degree Gauss zone 2 (deprecated) German
+proj=tmerc +lat_0=0 +lon_0=6 +k=1 +x_0=2500000 +y_0=0 +ellps=bessel +datum=potsdam +units=m +no_defs  <>
#Finnish KKJ
tmerc +lat_0=0 +lon_0=27 +k=1 +x_0=3500000 +y_0=0 +ellps=intl +towgs84=-96.0617,-82.4278,-121.743,4.80107,0.34543,-1.37646,1.4964 +units=m +no_defs  <>

What you need to chase up are
proj=tmerc #this is clear, Gauss-Krüger is a transverse Mercator projection
lat_0       #origin of latitude
lon_0        #origin of longitude, the central meridian of the projection zone
k             #scale factor, I suppose it is usually 1 in European Gauss-Kruger projections
x_0         #false easting in meters
y_0         #false northing in meters
ellps       #name of the ellipsoid; may be hard to find an accurate equivalent to 1908 situation
datum     #name of the datum; same as above
towgs84  #affine transformation parameters, usually either datum or towgs84 are needed

-Jukka Rahkonen-