[mapserver-users] MapServer output

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Nov 19 12:57:56 EST 2010

P Kishor wrote:
> I have been using MapServer for sometime now, but doing really simple
> things with it... read in mostly Pg, Shapefile and raster data, and
> output mostly images via regular CGI or WMS.
>
> One thing that GeoServer seems to do very well is provide easy output
> to a variety of formats -- GeoJSON, images, features, KML, a whole lot
> more.
>
> What are MapServer's capabilities in this regard? Ideally, my
> application would return the requested format based on the URI. So,
> given http://server/mapserv/wms/ would return WMS. If I replace "wms"
> with "kml" I would get back KML, or replace it with "geojson" and get
> back GeoJSON, etc.
>
> Is there a tutorial or documentation on this that someone can point me to?

Puneet,

This fall, in trunk, I have extended MapServer's WFS GetFeature request
to support returning formats supported by OGR.  It requires some setup
in the mapfile to enable it.  To the extent that helps you might want
to review:

   http://mapserver.org/trunk/output/ogr_output.html

Note that this is only in trunk.

Best regards,