[mapserver-users] MapServer output

P Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 13:07:59 EST 2010

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 12:01 PM, Rahkonen Jukka
<Jukka.Rahkonen at mmmtike.fi> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Geoserver can generate GeoJSON, KML and zipped shapefiles as alternative WFS outputformats in addition to gml that is mandatory according to standard. Mapserver generates gml if configured to work as WFS server, and KML support seems to be available by defining it as an outputformat in the mapfile, see http://mapserver.org/development/rfc/ms-rfc-58.html
> And see the vector outputformat in Mapserver 6.0
> http://mapserver.org/trunk/output/ogr.html
>
> So you can already get some of the extra formats which are supported by Geoserver, and most/all/even more in the future. However, configuring will be more complicated than with Geoserver which has a nice GUI tool for configuring all the WMS, WFS and WCS services at the same time.

Yeah, I played with GeoServer a while back. Then I saw it again
yesterday and its output capabilities were just wonderful.

However, I am allergic to Java, so I want to stay away from Tomcat and
Jetty and such nonsense unless MapServer is absolutely unable to
deliver.

Hence, my queries.