[mapserver-users] Re: Join from SHP file to PostgreSQL table

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Mon Nov 29 14:35:58 EST 2010

On 11/29/2010 2:21 PM, flaviocarmo wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks all for your responses. Im a novice in Mapserver so, after reading,
> now i know that:
>
> - I cant use a JOIN to shown only geometrys with the CODE field stored on
> Postgres (or another Database) because joins cannot modify the look of a
> map;
>
> - I need to use a template always to show the queries results;
>
> - Case-sensitive fields can be a problem in a query with mapserver;
>
> - The "PG:" string for was my mistake. I missed in the mail, but was in my
> MAP file. Sorry.
>
> Now what? There isnt a way to solve my issue? My client needs a opensource
> solution to deliver his data. His current solution (ESRI ArcGIS Server) is
> too expensive to buy another license, so he asked for a solution with the
> same quality, but opensource.
>
> There is a way to workaround this?

Favlio,

I would put all the data in a postgres/postgis database and display it
from there. There is a simple shapefile loader:  shp2pgsql. In this
setup you can easily join tables, create inherited tables if you are
working with data like streets.shp for multiple countries so the parent
table can be used to seamlessly display the multiple streets tables as a
single layer in mapserver.

He may have to rethink his work flow a little because the tools are
different, but this would be the case regardless if he is changing the
software that he is using.

-Steve W