[mapserver-users] Re: Clipping returned WFS data to the requesting bounding box

Jan Hartmann j.l.h.hartmann at uva.nl
Tue Nov 30 02:30:46 EST 2010

On 2010-11-29 22:11, Lime, Steve D (DNR) wrote:
> I'm not aware of any means to do this. If you're using PostGIS perhaps there's a way to use the !BOX! hack in conjunction with some of the analytical functions but it's a long shot... (see http://www.mail-archive.com/mapserver-users@lists.umn.edu/msg03006.html)

Quoting Paul Ramsey in the link above:
the evil "!BOX!" hack: In your data statement, if you compose it thusly:

DATA "the_geom from (select gid,the_geom from thetable where the_geom
&&  !BOX!) using unique gid"

When the postgis driver encounters the evil !BOX! it will replace it
with the current mapserver bounding box.

What exactly is the status of this demonic !BOX! hack? Is it described somewhere? Is the "current mapserver bounding box" queryable within MapServer itself?