[mapserver-users] Re: mapserver and netCDF data format.

P Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 14:12:57 EDT 2010

I have not used NetCDF with MapServer, so take all of my response with
a grain or two of salt. On the other hand, I am using NetCDF and am
using MapServer (just not together), so this might help...

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 11:42 AM, abhijeet kodgire
<kodgire.abhijeet at gmail.com> wrote:
> Could anyone please reply to my previous email attached here?
>
> Thanks,
> Abhijeet
>
> On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 1:07 AM, abhijeet kodgire
> <kodgire.abhijeet at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> Hello All,
>>
>> I am investigating mapserver to see if we can use it for our project. I
>> had few doubts after reading the data formats supported by mapserver.
>>
>> Mapserver document says netCDF dataformat is supported with GDAL library.

Yes, GDAL can read NetCDF, but remember, NetCDF is a generic data
format, not a geographic data format. You can store geographic data in
it, but it can be any kind of hierarchical data. It would be your
responsibility to read your data using GDAL, and then, use GDAL to
convert its relevant portions (the geographic portions) into one of
the many formats that MapServer can understand.

>> My question here was, Can we upload/publish the netCDF data with WCS
>> protocol and then get spatial/temporal subset of it back as netCDF file with
>> GetCoverage request? If yes, How to publish your netCDF data with WCS ? what
>> is the output of GetCoverage request? (Is it netCDF file or some other
>> format?). I ma asking this because netCDF format is not directly supported
>> in mapserver, one has to install GDAL library.
>>
>> Does GDAL library convert the netCDF data to some other format nd publish
>> it with mapserver? I was wondering how t works.

You are responsible for reading the NetCDF data using GDAL, extracting
the geographic portions, and converting them. GDAL is basically a
converter that can read in various formats and write out various
formats.

Puneet Kishor http://www.punkish.org
Carbon Model http://carbonmodel.org