[mapserver-users] Trouble shooting SLD?

K ken at sandnarrows.com
Sun Oct 17 10:01:07 EDT 2010

Is there any way to trouble shoot why an SLD layer is being being
rejected, or suggestions as to what it might be? Currently Mapserver
seems to be ignoring the SLD and not displaying it, which I assume means
some kind of parsing error or rejection of the SLD?

I look at my getcapabilities and it says: <UserDefinedSymbolization
SupportSLD="1" UserLayer="0" UserStyle="1" RemoteWFS="0"/>

Which I assume means yes SLD is supported.

I can browse to my SLD file, no errors opening it:
http://www.rockies.ca/coyotes/sld_template2.xml

I have tried using an SLD created by QGIS, one using PHP/Mapscript, and
a couple from examples in Mapserver documentation that I edited to work
for my use.

I turned on the error log in my map file and put debug to 5, no mention
of any errors or anything, though that isn't surprising as from what I
read Mapserver currently catches those errors and displays the WMS layer
as is, but provides no feedback as to the errors?

I had spaces in my layer name to start, thought that might cause a
problem so removed those.

I have tried viewing in Openlayers, straight URL request, and via a
quick mapscript application, all the same result.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Ken