[mapserver-users] Best way to store ArcInfo annotations in PostGIS?

Martin Ouellet geomartino at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 11:49:08 EDT 2010

Hi all,

I see 2 ways for doing that:
1) store the centroid (as a point geometry), rotation, text and maybe the
size of the annotation in my postgis table

2) using FME transformer (TextStroker), I can convert the annotation as a
multi-polygone or polyline directly.  Playing with the font and some offset
parameter, the result is pretty amazing (when I overlap the annotation and
the geometry generated by the transformer)

In a WMS map rendering point of view:
Q1: I presume that the solution #2 will be much faster than rendering à
label based on a point, rotation and text?

Q2: beside the limitation of solution #2 (cannot change font, size or
position of the text (geometry), is there others importants limitations that
I forgot?

Q3: Any recommendations?

cheers!

MartinOuellet