[mapserver-users] Trouble with MapServer cgi

Sebastian E. Ovide sebastian.ovide at gmail.com
Sat Oct 23 08:46:56 EDT 2010

Hi Leigh,

I have not idea about Fedora... with Ubuntu it was a simple apt-get
install... with GIS repo...that's all... all working fine... In my case I
had to build gdal and mapserver as I needed Oracle drivers too.... and  the
installation was very straight forward...

What OS do mapservers developers use ?

On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 10:16 AM, Leigh Holcombe <
lholcombe at triple-bypass.net> wrote:

> Hello,
> I've been trying to learn the MapServer software for a few weeks now.
>  Mostly, I've been running some examples from Bill Kropla's book, but I've
> also been trying out some things on my own.  I'm running version 5.6.5 on
> Fedora 13.
>
> My first question is about SELinux context.  After yum installation, the
> mapserv executable found in /usr/sbin has a context of
> system_u:object_r:bin_t:s0.  However, this causes serious problems for
> SELinux.  After trying numerous modifications, I have found that
> unconfined_u:object_r:httpd_unconfined_script_exec_t:s0 works - however,
> according to documentation, this is just barely better than turning SELinux
> off.  Can you offer any advice about setting this properly?  While SELinux
> is not crucial to my practice development, I feel it's a good idea to learn
> it.
>
> Secondly, I am having trouble loading map images without forms.  I have a
> properly configured virtual host, whose docroot is /var/www/html/nwss.dev.
>  My cgi directory is /var/www/cgi-bin, and my mapfile is located in
> /var/www/html/nwss.dev/mapserver_test.  According to the documentation, the
> path passed to the executable should be the path relative to the cgi
> location.  I take this to mean that either the absolute path above or the
> relative path ../html/nwss.dev/mapserver_test should work.  However, it does
> not.  Here is the HTML code I am trying to use (without < >):
>
> img src="
> http://www.nwss.dev/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=../html/nwss.dev/mapserver_test/map_13.map?mode=map"
> width="800" height="800" border="0"
>
> The web section (is it necessary in this example?) of my mapfile is:
> WEB
>        TEMPLATE "/var/www/html/nwss.dev/mapserver_test/map_13.html"
>        IMAGEPATH "/var/www/html/nwss.dev/mapserver_test/tmp/"
>        IMAGEURL "/mapserver_test/tmp/"
> END #end web
>
> Clearly, I'm doing something wrong.  But based on what I've read, it seems
> right.  Help!  Thanks for your time.

Sebastian E. Ovide