[mapserver-users] Really New User Issue

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Mon Oct 25 10:08:32 EDT 2010

On 10-10-24 1:19 AM, Tim Rood wrote:
> Hello,
>
> For context, I assume I have the latest MapServer version, downloaded
> October 3.
>
> Also, I’m pretty familiar with desktop GIS, but unschooled with web and
> map server use.
>
> Installation and first tutorial section went well.
>
> Got to Example 2-1: Example 2.1 - Pan and Zoom Controls
> <http://demo.mapserver.org/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/osgeo/mapserver/tutorial/htdocs/example2.map&layer=states&zoom=0&mode=browse&root=/tutorial&program=/cgi-bin/mapserv&map_web=template+example2-1.html>
> (teaches click on map to pan, etc.) and pan/zoom page opens with map. OK.
>
> *But here’s the problem:*
>
> **
>
> *the mapfile, (name: Example2.map. “type: map_auto_file” [new type to
> me]) from demo.mapfile.org *
>
> **
>
> *wants to be opened or saved every time I click on the map to pan. *
>
> **
>
> I expected the link above to run the local mapfile---and not open it
> either.
>
> I don’t understand the behavior I’m seeing. What basic point am I missing?
>
> Thanks,

Hi Tim,

Welcome to MapServer!

The MapServer tutorial that you downloaded should work out of the box if
you are using MS4W on Windows (extract the tutorial contents to the same
MS4W drive root and restart Apache).  If you are not using MS4W then you
would have to configure each tutorial example (in your case
example2-1.html, example2-1.map, and example2.1-template.html).

For example, if you were using Unix, you will notice that in
example2-1_template.html that "/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe" would need updating.

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
http://www.gatewaygeomatics.com/