[mapserver-users] Display performance

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Thu Sep 2 15:51:16 EDT 2010

On 9/2/2010 3:28 PM, Chris Jackson wrote:
> Hi
>
> I wondered if anyone knew if displaying a 50,000 polygon dataset would
> be significantly faster if called from a database rather than a
> spatially indexed shapefile, or is it a similar overhead for both.

Depends! This has been discuss a lot in past threads.

1. if you are displaying ALL of the polygons, the shapefile will be faster.

2. if you are displaying just one of the polygons, postgis will probably
be faster.

3. it varies in between these extremes, you could look these over:

http://www.google.com/#num=10&hl=en&newwindow=1&pwst=1&q=mapserver+performance+shapefile

-Steve W