[mapserver-users] Display performance

P Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 16:07:58 EDT 2010

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 3:03 PM, Chris Jackson <webturtles at gmail.com> wrote:
> Steve
>
> That saves some work, but how long would you expect one that size to load?
> I have just realised (admittedly not looked at the data for a couple of
> years) that it is actually 170,000 records - takes about 20 secs to load -
> sound reasonable?

What does "to load" mean? Is 20 seconds the time elapsed from when the
user clicks on the browser to when the user sees the resulting image?

You are ripping through 170K features and creating an image. 20
seconds seems like a lot. How big and complicated are those features?
How big is the shapefile, in physical size (MB, KB).

What kind of computer are you using?

What other processes are running?

So many variables...

in any case, if you have a web app, and you want your users to remain
interested in it, you probably will want to bring down the time "to
load" to sub-second, or, at the most a few seconds. You will also want
to consider multiple users -- acceptable performance with one user
might translate into horrendous performance with several concurrent
users.

Puneet Kishor http://www.punkish.org
Carbon Model http://carbonmodel.org