[mapserver-users] Proposed MapServer project additions...

Steve Lime sdlime at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 02:25:45 EDT 2011

Greetings MapServer User!

This message is to inform you about some project changes being
considered by the MapServer project steering committee (PSC).
Specifically we are looking to expand the functionality offered by the
project by integrating a couple of external projects. The projects
under consideration are:

  -- TinyOWS -  http://tinyows.org/ for PostGIS-based WFS-T
  -- MapCache (currently named mod-geocache) -
http://code.google.com/p/mod-geocache/ for tile cache support

Both projects have close ties to MapServer and add important capabilities.

At this point integration means merging project governance,
communications (mailing list/website), change management (SVN) and
issue tracking (Trac). As a MapServer user you probably won't notice
much of a difference since we'd continue to use MapServer
infrastructure. You will start to see questions related to these new
components on the mapserver mailing lists (-users, -dev) and we hope
folks will take advantage of these new features if the need exists.

For more detail on the proposed integration visit:

  -- http://mapserver.org/development/rfc/ms-rfc-70.html
  -- http://mapserver.org/development/rfc/ms-rfc-71.html

The next significant MapServer release would be dubbed "MapServer
Suite" and would contain all project components, that is, MapServer
CGI, MapServer MapScript, MapServer TinyOWS and MapServer MapCache.

The PSC is excited about the possibilities for the project and our
users, and welcome any comments, questions or concerns regarding these
proposed changes. Users interested in following or participating in
MapServer development are encouraged to join the mapserver-dev mailing
list.

Steve
Chair, MapServer PSC