[mapserver-users] Raster-Based Displays

SixDegrees paulcarlisle at comcast.net
Sun Aug 14 16:46:27 EDT 2011

I have a collection of image files - NITF, MrSid, some others - that contain
geographic information, either embedded or attached. MapServer has no
problem displaying the entire image or subsets of the image, properly
rotated so north is up and the raster is transformed into the appropriate
projection.

What I would like to do is ignore the geographic information and just have
MapServer treat the image as though it were a simple raster file, with no
more information than width, height and color organization. So I see the
entire image as it sits in the raster contained in the file, and subsets are
aligned in the same way.

Quite often I have several images of the same area taken from widely varying
positions, and we want to preserve that difference when the images are
displayed. So a tree, for example, might appear oriented upright in one
image, pointing to the left in another, upside down in yet another and so
on.

On a related note, I would like to be able to display non-geographic raster
files using MapServer, without any reference to a projection and simply
relying on the width and height of the image.

All the documentation and examples I've seen make use of projection
information, but there doesn't seem to be a projection that corresponds to
"just flat" or "plain old raster". How can I do this?