[mapserver-users] mimic geonames.org JSON server

Mark Volz volzmark at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 7 23:06:04 EST 2011

Hello,

I recently came across an interesting openlayers application that uses geonames.org for a search functionality.  I would like to be able to use my own gis data on the searches.   I came across http://mapserver.org/trunk/output/template_output.html, which starts to describe how to make a template.  I just have a couple questions.

1)  My understanding is I can use any .map files that have a layer with appropriate fields.  I just need to add another output format so that my .map file references a JSON template, and I can keep the standard image output formats.  Is this correct?

2) How would the html request need to be formatted to search a specific value in a specific layer and return JSON?

Any help and / or examples would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mark