[mapserver-users] Image output issues

forums forums at craniumjuice.com
Wed Dec 21 07:11:39 EST 2011

Hi all:

I'm wondering if there's a good solution to the issues I'm having.  I would
prefer to use JPEG format for my maps, overall they look better and are
smaller.  But I have two issues I'm wondering about.

1) I can't seem to find a way to turn off anti-aliasing. Is it possible to
turn it off with JPEG ?  I want the crisper look of aliased lines for the
various (MULTI)LINESTRING elements like state/county/country/coastlines,
etc.
2) The images are washed out or are lighter in color.  Hard to explain,
it's as if it's over exposed film.

If I use GIF output, these problems go away, but other problems are
introduced.  For instance the image size goes up too much and the quality
of the other features goes down.
I have one of the Nasa Blue Earth images as a base rastar layer, then place
roads and other features on top of it.

I can use PNG images, but those are also too large and I still have the
antialiasing problem with certain features.

I've considered using a jpeg for the blue marble, then a transparent gif
for the overlay, and joining the two.
I can't seem to get the GIF transparency to work though.  (Manually setting
the transparency and overlaying the GIF on the JPEG seems to produce a
reasonable result.)

Gif declaration:
    OUTPUTFORMAT
        NAME "gif"