[mapserver-users] mapserver defunct

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Wed Jan 12 00:18:20 EST 2011

Wim,

I'm not sure I have any magic bullet for this problem, because I'm not
sure what is causing it. If this was my project, I would tackle it like
this:

1. alert people we have a problem that might impact the release date if
you have not already done that
2. divide the problem to try and localize what is causing it

a. do the tiles that fail, always fail? this points at a potential
mapserver related issue as opposed to a load issue
a.1 have you turned on mapfile DEBUG output? can you identify the layer
a.2 you can get some maybe useful output from:

strace /path/to/mapserv QUERY_STRING='<url arguments>'

gdb /path/to/mapserv
run QUERY_STRING='<url arguments>'
where
quit

valgrind /path/to/mapserv QUERY_STRING='<url arguments>'

a.3 you can run it with shp2img ...

b. is it fastcgi, do you see the same problem if you build it as cgi
c. is it lighttpd, do you see the same problem if you run it with apache
fastcgi? what about apache cgi?

Intermittent problems are the hardest to diagnose because they often are
not reproducable in a debuging environment. We might be able to help you
with more information.

I have done a lot of load testing on various versions of mapserver and
tiled all of US and Canada about 4-5 different times using mapserver. I
have not used FastCGI/Lighty and lighttpd, so I'm not sure about what
influence that might have on the problem.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Best regards,
   -Steve W
    http://imaptools.com/