[mapserver-users] make cannot find -libodbc and -libodbcinst on compilation

gregcorradini gregcorradini at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 09:04:45 EST 2011

Hello,
I'm having one more compilation conflict on Ubuntu 10.10 with mapserver
5.6.6 and GDAL support. Here's the error:

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lodbc
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lodbcinst
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [shp2img] Error 1

My ./configure --with-gdal points to the correct gdal_config file. The
dependent libs for gdal_config are listed here:

CONFIG_DEP_LIBS=" -L/usr/local/lib -lgeos_c  -lsqlite3 -lodbc -lodbcinst
-lxerces-c -lpthread -ljasper -lhdf5 -lmfhdfalt -ldfalt -lgif -ljpeg -lpng
-lnetcdf -L/usr/lib -lpq -lz -lpthread -lm -lrt -ldl    -lcurl
-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions        "

These libraries should be on my system by default. And they are:

$ sudo find / -name libodbc.so
/usr/lib32/libodbc.so
/home/gcorradini/.local/share/Trash/files/usr/lib64/libodbc.so
$ sudo find / -name libodbcinst.so
/usr/lib32/libodbcinst.so

So i have a few questions based on this :

1. How do i tell the compiler where to link to them?
2. Why isn't it able to see them on its own?

Thanks