[mapserver-users] merging shapefiles

Julien Cigar jcigar at ulb.ac.be
Thu Jul 7 05:44:29 EDT 2011

Hello,

I have an (OpenLayers) map with two layers:

- Country (as a base layer)
- EEA

You can see the output here:
http://home.bebif.be/~jcigar/map.jpg

The "Country" layer contains just the borders of the countries, and the
"EEA" layer (the colorized areas) contains environmental areas.

What I'd like to do is to select a polygon within a country for a
specific zone. For example I would like to "select part of Belgium with
the Atlantic EEA (in blue)", which is the north of Belgium. I also need
to save some information in the database for the polygon (I'm using
Mapserver/PostGIS).

What would be the best way to do this? Would you "merge" the two layers
into one (be creating new polygons)?

thanks,
Julien