[mapserver-users] Re: MapServer 6 WMS output to 8-bit PNG

Brad Posthumus posthumusb at AGR.GC.CA
Wed Jul 27 17:21:52 EDT 2011

The GetMap request was using:

format=image/png

...instead of

format=image/png; mode=8bit

Now I'm getting paletted 8-bit images instead of 24-bit RGB's.

Thomas Bonfort wrote:

> I suspect it's the copying from Firefox, your outputformat is correct (and
> superfluous, the built-in png8 imagetype does the same)

Thanks for the response. You're right about the copying. It seems most image
viewers will assume PNGs are RGB when copying an image from a browser. I had
to use PIL in Python to show which WMS output images were 8-bit (mode = 'P')
and 24-bit (mode='RGB').

Also, I think we still need the OUTPUTFORMAT section in our mapfiles since
we're trying to use RGBA instead of RGB, which the built-in png8 output
format uses.