[mapserver-users] MapServer and NetCDF with date-time

Mark Jackson mark.jackson at cerc.co.uk
Thu Jun 2 06:37:43 EDT 2011

Hi

Does anyone have any advice on the best way to serve NetCDF floating point
rasters with a date-time dimension?

I want to use MapServer to serve up WMS, WMS-T and WCS from NetCDF 3 and
NetCDF 4. The NetCDF files will be compliant with the CF conventions and
will contain lat, long and date-time with floating-point raster data.

Would MapServer / GDAL support this? I've seen that GDAL supports NetCDF
but it's unclear whether it supports NetCDF 4 and I can't see any mention
of whether it supports WMS-T. Presumably it would need to treat the
date-time data like a tile index. Maybe GDAL could read the NetCDF and
create a tile index for MapServer (in PostGIS?).

I've also found a project which did something very similar called ADAGUC.
These guys wrote their own GDAL driver for NetCDF 4 with lat,long,date-time
and patched MapServer. Would that still be the best approach now? This PDF
describes what they did. I may also contact them directly.

http://adaguc.knmi.nl/contents/documents/workshop2008/presentations/ADAGUC_WS2_20081205_Plieger_deReus.pdf

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance
Mark

Mark Jackson BSc ARCS MSc
Cambridge Environmental Research Consultants Ltd

3 King's Parade, Cambridge, CB2 1SJ

tel: 01223 357773
fax: 01223 357492
web: www.cerc.co.uk
email: mark.jackson at cerc.co.uk

Cambridge Environmental Research Consultants Ltd. cannot accept any
responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of this message as
it has been transmitted over a public network.

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are private and intended
addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, this e-mail and any
accompanying files have been transmitted to you in error.  You may not
copy, distribute or make any other use of the information contained in
them.

CERC is a trading name of Cambridge Environmental Research Consultants Ltd,
registered at Cardiff with number 1926883. Registered Office address:
3 Kings Parade, Cambridge, CB2 1SJ.