[mapserver-users] Re: s-57 Nautical Charts

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Tue Jun 7 00:50:07 EDT 2011

On 6/7/2011 12:27 AM, Sila Khan wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 9:22 AM, Sila Khan <silasharmeen at gmail.com
> <mailto:silasharmeen at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi
>     Dear map server users! as m new to map server,i want to import
>     nautical charts on map server,how and in which format it z possible?
>     Does map server supports s-57 or .BSB formats.plz share your
>     experiences regarding the tool to view nautical charts or how to
>     load them in map server.
>     Thanks

Sila,

I few of us have done some stuff with nautical charts. To start with you
will likely want to use GDAL/OGR. OGR can read S-57 formats. I would
recommend converting the layers you want to shapefile format using ogr2ogr.

You need to separate the data into polygon, lines, and point data. Then
you will need to create a mapfile for rendering the various data layers
at the scales you are interested in. You will need to develop symbols
the match the symbology of the nautical charts. Maybe some of the other
users have symbols they are willing to share. For my own efforts, I only
experimented with it briefly and did not develop many of the symbols and
that was about 5-8 years ago and I can not find any of that effort at
this point.

You might also looks at:
http://www.iho.int/english/home/
http://www.iho-ohi.net/iho_pubs/IHO_Download.htm

These might have links to documents the describe the symbology that you
need to develop.

-Steve W