[mapserver-users] Re: ANGLE FOLLOW and Label Offset (v. 5.6.6)

Bob Basques Bob.Basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Tue Jun 7 10:21:57 EDT 2011

All,

I've been following this thread with interest.

Was wondering, does it make any sense to consider building out an entirely new geometry set that is based on the original geometry.  On the surface this seems like overkill, but I wonder if treating this situation as an indexing sort of problem might not help.  The buffered result geometries could easily become more complex than the original geometries for example, and having them as a separated group may be beneficial to performance tuning, etc.

Might this be a new commandline tool for building these extras into a dataset (similar to making IDX files?).  I could think of a few uses of this type of thing for highlighting, etc.  Although, now that I've thought about it even more, the idea of being able to change these things on the fly makes the whole conversation go round back to the beginning again.  :c).  Making the buffering dynamic has it's advantages as well for example.

bobb

>>> Brent Fraser <bfraser at geoanalytic.com> wrote:

Thomas,

   Yes, I've been trying to come up with good map file syntax to
indicate labeling of the transformed geometry.  Currently mapserver allows:
- transformed original geometry (buffer, difference)
- augmented original geometry (bbox, start/end, vertices)
- rendered label geometry (labelpoint, labelpoly)

but it doesn't label transformed geometry, only original geometry.  The
main problem (from a user interface perspective) is how to relate
transformed geometry to the label specification.

One solution is to allow a LABEL object within a STYLE object:

     CLASS
        NAME 'Streams'
        STYLE
          GEOMTRANSFORM (buffer([shape], 5))

          LABEL
              usual label settings
          END # Label
        END # Style

but that's a little strange as STYLE objects are currently allowed
within LABEL objects.

Another solution is to have "named" geometry and reference it in the
LABEL object (and keep the existing CLASS/STYLE/LABEL structure):

     CLASS
        NAME 'Streams'
        STYLE
          GEOMTRANSFORM my_label_shape = (buffer([shape], 5))
        END # Style

         LABEL
              usual label settings
             GEOMETRY my_label_shape
         END # Label

And I'm sure there are other (and hopefully better) solutions.

Best Regards,
Brent Fraser