[mapserver-users] Asking for guidelines about a project

Saka Royban sakaroyban at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 20 02:10:01 EDT 2011

I don't know how to express my thanks to your helpful answer and Brent Fraser,
as well.

specially, i wasn't careful about using views in this application.

>>You don't need a table per vehicle, as all share the same columns, you  just
>>need to have a vehicle id >>column to be able to select the required  vehicle
>>from the table.

I didn't get what ur meaning. No table per vehicle? while i have to store every
point with its time, so it means 1 record for each point. (Can i have an array
of time in one cell? if so, it means i have a line of points in one cell, and
corresponding array of times in another cell)

>>Do you want a fixed map extent & just show vehicles in that region?
>>Do you want to have  the map automatically zoom to an extent covering all
>>currently displayed vehicles?
>>Do you want the map to automatically recenter on a vehicle point as the point
>>nears an edge of the map?

Of course, user selects some vehicles, and if not in current displayed region,
map automatically changes the displayed extent.
Around recentering map when a vehicle reaches map edges, I think (if i'm wrong
Plz correct me) it would be done via Openlayers with some scripting. As it knows
current extent and new position of vehicles, it is possible computing whether
vehicle reaches edge or not.

Best Regards
Saka