[mapserver-users] MySQL connection: so near, yet so far...

Chris Green chris.green at ibstv.co.uk
Wed Jun 22 07:17:35 EDT 2011

I am trying to establish a MySQL connection to a Mapserver 6.0 layer using
OGR. After much trial and error (mostly error) I have got to the point where
I have an ovf file which I can test using ogrinfo, but which I cannot make
work in a layer.

My ovf file (OGR_test.ovf) is

<OGRVRTDataSource>
    <OGRVRTLayer name="OGR_test">

<SrcDataSource>mysql:testDB,user=root,password=mysql,port=3306,tables=testTa
ble</SrcDataSource>
        <SrcSQL>SELECT City, Latitude, Longitude FROM testTable</SrcSQL>
        <GeometryType>wkbPoint</GeometryType>
        <GeometryField encoding="PointFromColumns" x="Longitude"
y="Latitude"/>
    </OGRVRTLayer>
</OGRVRTDataSource>

I can successfully test this and see the data in testTable via:

~# ogrinfo var/www/vhosts/mysite/httpdocs/data/OGR_test.ovf

However when I create a test layer I cannot establish the OGR connection. I
am trying with:

LAYER
  NAME "testLayer"
  STATUS DEFAULT
  TYPE POINT
  CONNECTIONTYPE OGR
  CONNECTION "OGR_test.ovf"
  DATA "OGR_test"
  CLASS
    NAME "MyClass"
    STYLE
      SYMBOL 'circle'
      SIZE 15
      COLOR 0 255 0
    END
  END
END

This produces an "internal server error".

I have also tried using an absolute path to OGR_test.ovf, still no success.
It seems that I have not got the CONNECTION and DATA parameters right but
after reading the MySQL and the OGR sections in the Mapserver documentation
many times I still can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Can someone help?

Regards,

Chris