[mapserver-users] error: Unable to select IMAGETYPE `PNG'

Mukesh Subedee msubedee at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 22 19:55:47 EDT 2011

Hi all,

I am trying to set up a new MapServer in a Ubuntu 10.04 machine. I 've installed
and configured all the necessary/required components (including libpng-1.2.18).
While configuring MapServer, I have included libpng package as well and my
./configure shows:

configure: checking where PNG is installed...
checking for png_init_io in -lpng... yes
        using libpng from system libs.

However, while I check ./mapserv -v, I could not find OUTPUT=PNG and am getting
the error: msPostMapParseOutputFormatSetup(): General error message. Unable to
select  IMAGETYPE `PNG'.

I am not sure what went wrong during installation/configuration. I checked mail
archives but could not find the exact solution (but have tried for some of the
solutions found in Web). Please let me know if you have resolved this problem.

Thanks,
Mukesh