[mapserver-users] two mapserver speed-optimization questions

Vince Miller vincentpmiller at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 15 17:03:29 EDT 2011

Hi,

I'm new to this list. A quick search did not find answers to two mapserver speed-optimization questions. Can someone please
 help?

1. The following two lines of PHP from my application transform an php image object into a raster map layer:

imagepng($rmap, __MAPS_PATH__ . "resource.png");
$map->getLayerByName("resource")->set("data", __MAPS_PATH__ . "resource.png");

The imagepng call is a major bottleneck when the extent of the layer is large.
Can the data in
 image "$rmap" be accessed for layer "resource" directly, without the file write/read? If so, how? FYI, the following lines appear in my mapfile:

  LAYER
    NAME resource
    DATA "resource.png"
    TYPE raster
    PROCESSING "RESAMPLE=NEAREST"
  END

2. When
 large vector layers are included in the map, or when the layer consists of labels, the mapObj's draw method is slow, even if only a small portion of the layer data is needed.

Sample SQL that created the layer data column is:

CREATE TABLE domains (
    domid integer PRIMARY KEY,
);
SELECT AddGeometryColumn('','domains','boundaries','4326','MULTIPOLYGON',2);
\i boundaries.sql; /* contains a bunch of INSERT INTOs */
CREATE INDEX dombound_idx ON domains USING gist (boundaries);
ALTER TABLE domains CLUSTER ON dombound_idx;

and the mapfile has:

  LAYER
    CONNECTIONTYPE postgis
    PROCESSING "CLOSE_CONNECTION=DEFER"
    NAME         boundaries
    DATA         "boundaries from domains using unique
 domid"

 TYPE         POLYGON
    CLASS
    END