[mapserver-users] Raster dataset recommendations

Jean-François Gigand jean-francois at gigand.fr
Thu Mar 17 12:52:17 EDT 2011

Back after a few weeks...
You are right obviously. That time, I did not spend time further than
gdaladdo and tiled tiffs.
I thought the reprojection could be equally made statically with
gdalwarp or at mapserver level, considering that map tiles are cached.
And also because I was probably running out of space for another 400
Go, since I wanted to keep the original projection as well, for other
uses.

Thinking of the raster process, it is obvious that reprojecting all
tiffs once is a lot faster, for generating all map tiles, than
requesting MapServer to do it, because every TIFF is used multiple
times.

Thanks Edi for your advise.
"you dont need more than four tiles to display the image"
This rule is enough to make decisions on how to build the pyramidal structure.
Of course, benches needs to be made, and every aspect is important,
including the FS type, HD technology and the whole...

About PostGIS raster and TIFFs, I don't get any clear feedback...
Probably because PostGIS hasn't been used a lot for rasters so far...
I will make my own experiments, then.
Will give feedback here.

JF