[mapserver-users] Rendering Challenges

Lime, Steve D (DNR) steve.lime at state.mn.us
Mon May 9 16:36:14 EDT 2011

These aren't specific to 6.0 though- more of a wish list...

Item 1 might be doable in 6.0 as it sits. In 6.0 a style GEOMTRANSFORM is really an expression and I exposed
the GEOS buffer operator as a proof-of-concept. For example:

STYLE
  GEOMTRANSFORM (buffer([shape], -2))
  OUTLINECOLOR 255 0 0
END

Should generate a single pixel red line on the inside of a polygon shape. You can render it however you'd like.
Note that a GEOMTRANSFORM is performed AFTER a shape is converted from map to image coordinates so it's effective
for rendering effects only.

If we exposed a few others you'd be able to do some other interesting things (like fills just inside a line...).

The rest of the ideas are interesting and worthy of discussion.

Steve