[mapserver-users] Layer rendering performance problem

Jon-Paul Dobson jpdobson40 at gmail.com
Wed May 11 11:39:45 EDT 2011

Hi,

Whenever I display a layer based on a Shape file I notice that the Shape
file is accessed constantly. This makes rendering extremely slow when
compared to, for example, ESRI ArcIMS which appears to cache the Shape file.
Is there an equivalent caching mechanism for Map Server? ArcIMS seems to
render an order of magnitude faster when the number of symbols runs into the
1000s

Similarly, whenever I display layer symbols using a truetype font I notice
that the .ttf file is accessed for every symbol. This makes rendering
appallingly slow. Is there also any caching mechanism to prevent this?

Any insight anyone can give would be much appreciated.

Best regards,
Jon-Paul.