[mapserver-users] Layer rendering performance problem

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Wed May 11 11:53:34 EDT 2011

look at the mapserver utilities:

shptree myshapefile

This creates a spatial index (*.qix) and you should create one for every
shapefile you are using.

On Linux this will do the trick:

find /path/data -name \*.shp -exec shptree {} \;

If the .qix file is missing on every draw mapserver must create one on
the fly in memory and the it throws it away.

-Steve W