[mapserver-users] Re: mapserver-users Digest, Vol 40, Issue 29

Ben Madin lists at remoteinformation.com.au
Thu May 12 11:33:14 EDT 2011

Thanks Jeff,

Truth be told, I haven't set up a map file with a shapefile for about three years (all our data is in PostGIS now), so I haven't looked at the docs on that for a while.

Based on the feedback here, could I maybe suggest that the last part of the shptree page be reworded to something like

<<<

Mapfile Notes

The qix will be used when it is available and may provide significant gains in rendering speed.

ESRI index files (.sbn / .shx) are not used by MapServer.

Note Prior to Mapserver 5.2, in order for MapServer to use the.qix extension you MUST NOT specify the extension, for example:

LAYER
  DATA "us_states"    #MapServer will search for us_states.qix and will use it
END

LAYER
  DATA "us_states.shp"    #MapServer will search for us_states.shp.qix and won't find it
END
Shapefiles are native to MapServer, and therefore do not require the .shp extension in the DATA path of the LAYER.

cheers

Ben